ICF’s Educational and Scientific Trust (EST) was established in 1984 as a charity that aims to advance education in all aspects of forestry and arboriculture. The trust fund made up of donations and managed by a group of Trustees, who include the ICF President and Vice President. Trustees are empowered to use these funds to:
- encourage forestry and arboriculture in education;
- promote public lectures, demonstrations or exhibitions on forestry and tree-related subjects;
- provide grants to enable recipients to study forestry or arboriculture at technical colleges or training establishments at home and abroad, with a view to assisting them to qualify for a career in the tree and woodland management professions;
- acquire or lend literature and photographic equipment for approved purposes.
Apply for an Educational Grant
The EST provides grants to students and others at the early stages of their forestry or arboricultural careers. Educational grants are awarded in the following categories.
- EST Annual Travel Bursary
This is the Trust’s flagship award of £500. ICF is looking for high quality proposals which demonstrate that the proposed travel will make a substantial contribution to the applicant’s professional development.
- EST Professional Development Awards
This is a discretionary award of any amount for a high quality proposal from an applicant that the Trustees believe as being likely to make a real contribution to an applicant’s professional development.
- EST Events Bursary
Several awards of £100 will be made available for attending the ICF National Conference or Study Tour. The number of awards to be made will be agreed by the Trustees annually.
The awards will be made to the applicants who, in the Trustee’s opinion, make the best case. Applications are considered twice a year, and should be received at the latest by 1 June and 31 December for consideration by Trustees. Grantees may be asked to report on their experience for Chartered Forester magazine.
Donate to the Trust
The EST is grateful for support and welcomes all inquiries about its activities and aims. If you are interested in donating or fundraising, please don’t hesitate to contact the Institute.