Launched in 2022, the Professional Forester of the Year Award recognises Chartered members for their outstanding service to the profession of forestry and for furthering the principles of the Institute of Chartered Foresters.
The work of those who manage trees, woodlands and forests has never been more important. This award recognises Chartered members’ contributions on a community, regional, national or international level to advance forestry. It may be related to one specific project or a range of activities within the last three years.
Recipients may be awarded for any one of the following:
- An outstanding contribution made to the sustainable management of trees, woodlands and forests
- An outstanding contribution made to the betterment of forestry and forest practices, including contributions to the application of forestry in any of its branches, policy, education or research
- Service to and advancement of the profession
- To recognise and honour the achievements of individuals who have attained prominence and distinction in any field of forestry, and to permanently record the achievements of such individuals.
The Professional Forester of the Year Award is presented at Confor’s Annual Dinner & Awards.
Professional Forester of the Year 2022
Jonathan Callis MICFor
Senior Asset Engineer, Network Rail
Who can apply?
All nominees must be a current Chartered member of the Institute of Chartered Foresters and must demonstrate adherence to the Institute’s Code of Conduct.
You do not have to be a member to submit a nomination. Being nominated or shortlisted in previous years does not prohibit a member from being nominated again.
Nominations have closed for 2023. Stay tuned for the 2024 deadline later this year.
The nomination form must reflect the high calibre of the award and the person being nominated and must be submitted in its entirety.
Nominators are accountable for the quality and accuracy of information presented in the nomination submission, which may be checked and verified by the Institute of Chartered Foresters.
Dr Stuart Glen
Member Services Director, Institute of Chartered Foresters
0131 240 1429
One Chartered member is awarded every year based on the eligibility criteria. The Judging Panel is made up of four esteemed Fellows of the Institute:
John Browne FICFor
Senior Specialist Advisor Land, Natural Resources Wales
Shireen Chambers MBE FICFor
Chief Executive, Future Woodlands Scotland
Steve McCartney FICFor
General Manager, Holiday & Leisure Parks, Causeway Coast & Glens Borough Council
Dr Mike Yerbury FICFor
Director, EGGER (UK) Ltd
Our Judging Panel are looking for:
- A member of the Institute of Chartered Foresters of good standing
- A member who is able to demonstrate initiative in advancement of the science, management and promotion of UK trees, woodlands and forests
- A member who promotes awareness and action towards sustainable forest management practice
- A member who is recognised by their peers as a leader in the sector or the embodiment of a professional
- A member who deserves recognition for outstanding, recent service to the profession and for furthering the Institute’s values.