A prestigious international forestry exchange programme, endorsed by HRH The Prince of Wales, has opened for applications. The Prince of Wales Forest Leadership Award offers a CAD$12,000 bursary and Canadian work placement opportunity to two UK recipients.
Award winners, chosen from student and graduate applicants in the partner countries, gain valuable professional experience through an international work placement. Previous Award placements have taken UK students to the Algonquin Forest Authority, Ontario, and Strategic Natural Resource Consultants in British Columbia.
Now in its third year, the Award is a partnership initiative between The Prince of Wales’ Duchy of Cornwall, the Institute of Chartered Foresters (ICF) in the UK, and the Canadian Institute of Forestry (CIF/IFC) in Canada, funded by TD Bank. It recognises students and recent graduates who are actively engaged in forestry or natural resource management and who have a passion for the environment.
2015 UK winner David Johnes, described his unique Canadian experience, saying:
“The places we got to work were pretty amazing, we got to use helicopters, boats and trucks, and do things I never would have imagined back in the UK. I have been to places no one else would go, and the thought of that is pretty cool. I have made a great group of friends in Port McNeill and I have gained new experiences that I wouldn’t have had access to before. I have even worked in Bella Bella in the heart of the Great Bear Rainforest!”
Shireen Chambers FICFor, ICF Executive Director, noted that for UK recipients, this was career-enhancing award that would open doors in a now-booming UK forestry sector. Encouraging students and graduates to apply, she said:
“The Prince of Wales Forest Leadership Award is a fantastic initiative that offers exceptional students and graduates a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for international forestry work experience. With a billion-pound forestry sector in the UK, which is crying out for fresh talent, it presents a unique learning experience and competitive advantage for future employment opportunities. The Institute is delighted to working with the Duchy of Cornwall, CIF/IFC and TD bank to promote this award.”
For eligibility criteria and information on how to apply, visit www.charteredforesters.org/forest-leaders. Applications are now being accepted by CIF/IFC before the deadline of 11:59pm Eastern Time – December 31, 2016.
Marketing & Communications Officer
+44 (0) 131 240 1425
Notes to Editor
1. The Institute of Chartered Foresters (ICF) is incorporated by Royal Charter as the only professional body in the UK to award Chartered Forester and Chartered Arboriculturist statuses. Full details of how to join the Institute, and routes to professional membership are available on the ICF website: www.charteredforesters.org
2. The Canadian Institute of Forestry (CIF/IFC) is the national voice of forest practitioners in Canada. It promotes public awareness and understanding of good forest stewardship, and provides outreach and opportunities for education and professional development. Visit www.cif-ifc.org
3. The Duchy of Cornwall is a private estate established by Edward III in 1337 to provide independence to his son and heir, Prince Edward. It funds the public, charitable and private activities of the Prince of Wales and his family. Visit www.duchyofcornwall.org
4. The Prince of Wales Forest Leadership Award is sponsored by TD Bank Group.
5. For further information on The Prince of Wales Forest Leadership Award, including links to blog content from previous winners and other resources, visit www.charteredforesters.org/forest-leaders.