Latest timber price indices produced
The latest National Statistics on Timber Price Indices, produced by the Forestry Commission, were released today in accordance with the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority. They present data for Great Britain to March 2014 and are based on timber sales by the Forestry Commission and Natural Resources Wales, and comprise the Coniferous Standing Sales Price Index and the Softwood Sawlog Price Index.
The key points from the latest release are:
In the Coniferous Standing Sales Price Index:
• there has been an overall increase in the index over the past 10 years, following an overall decrease in earlier years;
• the index was 13.5% higher in real terms (15.6% in nominal terms) in the year to March 2014, compared with the previous year; and
• the average price for coniferous standing sales was £15.62 per cubic metre overbark standing in nominal terms in the year to March 2014, an increase from £13.29 in the year to March 2013.
In the Softwood Sawlog Price Index:
• there has been an overall increase over the past five years, following a long period of general decline;
• the index was 16.0% higher in real terms (17.7% in nominal terms) in the six months to March 2014, compared with the corresponding period the previous year; and
• the average price for softwood sawlog sales was £45.45 per cubic metre overbark in nominal terms in the six months to March 2014, an increase from £40.71 in the six months to September 2013 and £38.60 in the six months to March 2013.
The full release is available in the statistics area of the Forestry Commission website at www.forestry.gov.uk/statistics.
Further information is available from Jackie Watson, email@example.com; tel: 0300 067 5238.
The statistics will next be updated on 6 November 2014, with data to September 2014, and on 14 May 2015, with data to March 2015.