Galbraith is one of the largest land and woodland managers operating across Scotland and North England with influence over the management of around 1,500,000 hectares of land. We are a diverse multi-disciplinary firm operating in the rural, forestry, energy, commercial and residential sectors and are leaders in associated property management, sales, acquisitions and lettings.
Galbraith Forestry manages over 30,000 hectares of privately owned commercial and estate forestry and delivers woodland creation schemes of all types up and down the country, ranging from farm woodlands to upland plantations and landscape scale native woodland schemes. We also work closely with colleagues on valuation, sales and acquisition of rural assets.
We are looking for a Forester to join our busy and expanding team. The purpose of the role will be to assist with our growing portfolio of clients across northern Scotland, with opportunities to take responsibility and ownership for a varied portfolio of work. We want to provide the opportunity for you to work hard, have fun and develop professionally within a supportive environment.
Key elements of the role will be:
- Planning and implementing woodland creation projects
- Preparation and management of standing timber sales, monitoring harvesting operations and maximising associated returns to clients.
- Organising and supervising forestry and woodland contract operations using independent contractors including new planting, restocking and woodland maintenance operations.
- Monitoring woodland operations for UKWAS purposes
- Securing necessary consents and appropriate grants
- Woodland assessment, mapping, preparation of reports and long term plans
- Communicating closely with colleagues and clients
You will have the following important attributes:
- Experience and knowledge of forestry practice and management of woodland operations
- A relevant forestry qualification
- ICF membership or working towards Professional Membership Entry
- Have a good working knowledge of the FGS and UK Forestry Standard
- An excellent communicator able to work effectively with colleagues, clients, contractors and stakeholders
- Good IT skills including knowledge of GIS applications in forestry
- Able to work accurately and efficiently with a focus on task delivery
- An ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Be innovative, enthusiastic and self-motivated with good problem solving skills
- Hold a full clean UK Driving Licence