Scottish Forestry is looking for somebody to join the Policy and Practice team as a Forest Sector Development Advisor. If you are interested in innovation, working with industry leaders and driving change then this position could be for you. This role will involve working closely with the commercial forestry sector to increase the overall contribution forestry makes to the Scottish economy. We are looking for someone with the experience and judgement to balance competing interests and develop new ideas and partnerships that will deliver Scotland’s Forest Strategy.
As a member of the Business Development team you will provide advice and expertise to the Scottish Government and Ministers on all aspects of commercial forestry in Scotland including skills and education. You will work closely with industry stakeholders and researchers looking for new ways to add value to domestic timber. This post will report directly to the Head of Business Development.
- Act as a Senior Advisor and lead on forestry sector issues for Scottish Enterprise, South of Scotland Enterprise, Highland and Island Enterprise and others in the Scottish Forest and Timber Technologies (SFTT) sector.
- Act as a leader within the SFTT Industry Leadership Group (ILG).
- Be responsible for the Root for Further Growth Programme budget.
- Leading on the push to get more Scottish timber into construction.
- Work directly with UK wood-based Industries to identify and support opportunities to add value to Scotland’s wood supply chains through collaboration and partnerships in innovation, and promotion activities.
- Help to shape and direct research and development in tree breeding, wood properties and use of timber and wood fibre.
- Lead on the Skills agenda in relation to developing a future workforce for the sector to deliver its economic growth ambitions.
- Undertake a high level of representational work with the forestry sector and maintain a close working relationship with Confor and other sectoral representative bodies.
- Provide Ministerial support, including briefings, correspondence and official support as required.
- Act as line manager to a PB3 and PB4.