Call for ICF Members
Defra is seeking to appoint a new panel of members for the formation of the Forestry Commission’s Reference Committee Panel, under Section 27 of the Forestry Act 1967, concerning restocking in England.
The Forestry Commissioners’ powers to control tree felling are set out in Part II of the Forestry Act 1967 (as amended) and includes licensing the felling of trees, to which restocking conditions may be attached, and to serve notices requiring a person to restock land where a person has been convicted of illegal felling or where it appears to the Commissioners that an offence has been committed. The role of the Committee is to consider a case afresh in an independent review and provide advice to the Minister on the Restocking Notice and any conditions contained in the Notice. This advice should be limited to areas in which the Committee has competence, for example the silvicultural aspects of the Notice, and not for example the legality of the Notice.
Each committee consists of:
• a Chairman appointed by the Forestry Minister (usually the Chair of the area’s Forestry and Woodlands Advisory Committee); and
• two members selected by the Minister from a panel for the formation of the Committees.
Panel Members for Reference Committees would expire in 2026 and three Reference Panels will be appointed in the following regions:
• North West England; North East England; and Yorkshire and The Humber.
• West Midlands; East Midlands; and East England.
• South West England; South East England and London.
If you are interested, please complete the below expression of interest form and return it to the Commissioners’ Office by 14 April 2021.