Soils Basics for Foresters
This October, expand your knowledge of soil at a one-day workshop run jointly between the Institute of Chartered Foresters and Focus on Forestry First. We are grateful and thankful for Natural Resources Wales’ support.
This one-day event will explore:
- the importance of soil recognition in forest management
- how to use published geological, and soil information to help in soil type identification
- use of vegetation indicators
- how to approach soil investigation in the forest or field, and gain some practical experience in doing so
- the principles behind the Forestry Commission Ecological Site Classification (ESC) System, the soil inputs required and how to predict tree species suitability, taking climate change into account
You will receive further authoritative information on forests and soil management during this one-day workshop.
Who should attend?
If you are a forester whose decisions depend on knowledge of soil then this course is ideal for you. In the afternoon you will have the opportunity to put what you have learned into practice by examining and identifying soils in the forest. The aim of this workshop is to demystify the management of forest soils for practitioners.
*Please note that this course has been specially designed for foresters and not arboriculturists.
You will receive copies of the Forestry Commission Fieldbook ‘The Identification of Soils for Forest Management’, together with handouts of presentations, further information and reading, UK Forestry Standard soil requirements and a list of Forest Research publications on soil management.
09:15 Arrival and coffee
10:10 Morning session
13:30 Field visit
16:00 Wrap up
The following Soils Basics for Foresters is also being held in 2019:
Point of contact
If you have any issues booking this event please contact our Development Director, Louise Simpson.
Cost (booking fee)
These events are only available to people living and working in Wales as they are heavily subsidised by the Welsh Government.1
- FFF member £10
- Non-FFF member £20 Non-FFF member £20 (must be Welsh resident working within Trees & Timber sector)
How to book
You can book this event on Focus on Forestry First’s website at http://www.focusonforestryfirst.co.uk/cms/kt-event-booking-form-complete/
For further details, contact Louise Simpson, Development Director, Institute of Chartered Foresters.