The Institute of Chartered Forester’s National Conference 2022 will follow on from National Conference 2021 with the theme of Climate Smart Forestry – A Focus on the Fundamentals. It will continue to focus on ensuring our members are both equipped and empowered to deliver effectively on the UK-wide tree planting aspirations currently proposed by governments. Meeting these aspirations will require expertise in all areas of the science and art of forestry but, crucially, we need a thorough understanding of the fundamentals such as site selection, soils, species choice and silvicultural practices that underpin the successful creation and management of woodlands.
National Conference 2022 will take place both in-person and online. The physical conference will take place at the Royal College of Surgeons & Physicians in Glasgow.
We’re delighted to announce that Tony Kirkham MBE VMH will be our after dinner speaker (for physical attendees only).
Confirmed speakers include Andrew Vaughan FICFor from Tilhill Forestry, Graham Taylor MBE FICFor from Pryor & Rickett Silviculture, John Deakin MICFor from the National Trust, Professor Richard Ennos from the University of Edinburgh, Eilidh Forster from Bangor University and Chris Reynolds from Forest Research.
Session 1: The Why
Chaired by Rebecca Heaton FICFor
- Opening Keynote – Chris Stark , CEO Committee on Climate Change
- Broadening the Investment Base
- What different types of forests deliver on carbon? – Eilidh Forster, Consultant and PhD Researcher at Bangor University
Session 2: The Site
Chaired by Hilary Allison MICFor
- How sites will change in the future due to climate change
- Cultivation options – latest options and techniques – Andrew Vaughan FICFor, Regional Manager at Tilhill Forestry
Session 3: Species
- Emerging species for climate smart forestry
- Forest development types – a new approach to mixed species stands
- Practical species selection – three case studies from practitioners
Session 4: Silviculture
Chaired by Gary Kerr FICFor
- Using silvicultural systems to diversify forestry – Graham Taylor MBE FICFor, Chief Executive at Pryor & Rickett Silviculture
- Natural Regeneration: two case studies from practitioners – John Deakin MICFor, Head of Trees and Woodlands at National Trust
Session 5: Climate Smart Plant Supply
- Genetics improvements
- Seeds and genetic origins – Professor Richard Ennos, Honorary Professional Fellow, School of Biological Sciences at the University of Edinburgh
Session 6: Timber Market Implications of Climate Smart Forestry
- A processors view on climate smart forestry – two case studies
Plenary: How has the conference changed your thinking? – Alan Hampson, Head of Policy and Practice at Scottish Forestry
- 10 years on from the Independent Panel on Forestry – Bishop John Jones
Conference Summation – Rebecca Heaton FICFor
Closing – Geraint Richards MVO FICFor, Head Forester at the Duchy of Cornwall Estate
Bookings will open shortly.
Event Region - international
Event Venue - Royal College of Surgeons & Physicians, Glasgow, G2 5RJ