ICF South West England: Practical Application of Technology in ForestryBook now
As a new committee, we are keen to significantly increase the number of events in the region and ensure they are located to give members from right across our large a large region the best chance of attending. Each event will have a theme, however we are introducing a ‘magazine style format’ with numerous related topics being covered during one event and focusing on topical issues. Feedback from members on what they would like to see covered is welcomed.
New technology is playing an ever-increasing role in our daily lives and forestry is no exception. This event is aimed at Forest Managers and Arboriculturalists and will provide detailed information on new technology and its application with opportunities to see it being demonstrated in the field. A greater understanding of this technology and how we can utilise it for better and more efficient management of our forests is increasingly important. This is an excellent opportunity to hear from experts in their field and see the latest equipment.
The event is being held at the Haldon Forest Park just south of Exeter, which has an indoor venue. The outdoor activities are just a short walk away. This venue has excellent access and is reasonably central within the region.
- Application of drones for various types of aerial imagery and surveying, as well as potential for operational activity-Jonathan Carter-The Aerial Academy. This will include a flying demonstration of the drones (weather permitting)
- Digital mapping- Hanno Koch-Latitude Cartography Ltd giving an excellent presentation on how cartography has developed and how best to utilise GIS technology
- Mensuration-Stephen & Samuel Fox-Barle Valley Forestry. Refresher on mensuration techniques and an introduction to new equipment followed by demonstration in the forest
Directions & Parking
The FC will cordon off an area for attendees within the public car park and there will be no parking charges for anyone attending the event. This area will be clearly marked.
- Travelling by car on the A38, turn off at the exit for Exeter Racecourse (there are no slip roads for this turning).
- Turn right at the mini roundabout and follow the signs for Haldon Forest Park.
- If travelling along the A38 from Plymouth, exit just after the petrol station at the top of Haldon Hill and turn left at the t junction.
- The Haldon car park is signposted further along the road on the left.
- The postcode for Sat Nav is EX6 7XR.
- Make sure you look out for the Haldon blue banners directing you to the car park. Please do not drive up the first entrance labelled ‘Office Car Park’.
The event will be held in the building immediately adjacent to the Ridge Cafe.
See https://www.forestry.gov.uk/haldonforestpark for further details.
9.30-10.00 Coffee & registration
10.00-10.15 Welcome & summary of day. Short introduction to Haldon by FC
10.15-11.15 Drone theory-Jonathan Carter-Aerial Academy
11.25-12.30 Digital Mapping-Hanno Koch, Latitude Cartography Ltd
12.30-1.15 Lunch (provided)
1.15-2.00 Mensuration Stephen & Samuel Fox-Barle Valley Forestry
2.00-2.15 Walk to site
2.15-2.45 Mensuration demonstration -Barle Valley Forestry
2.45-3.30 Demonstration of drone-Aerial Academy*
3.30-3.45 Walk back to Ridge café
3.45-4.00 Summing up, questions & refreshments
*In the event of being unable to fly due to weather, the speakers will extend their presentation indoors