2018 ICF South Scotland: Larriston Woodland Creation Visit
The 2018 ICF South Scotland Regional Group Larriston Woodland Creation Visit will form another reference point for large-scale woodland creation in South Scotland. While the autumn ICF National Study Tour will look at the wider context of afforestation as part of its wider programme on integrated land use, this event will very much focus on the technical issues of such schemes.
Key points of discussion will include:
- The application process – discussion of the major issues / constraints and how they were resolved – particular point of interest on community concerns over forestry reducing employment / permanent residents in the community, project has actually had the opposite effect.
- Cultivation – conflicts and results from different methods including drainage (working with existing network which isn’t Forest and Water guidelines compliant)
- Species selection and silviculture – VP and seed orchard Sitka, other conifers and productive broadleaves
- Weeding and other maintenance operations on a large scale
- Eddie Addis, Central Borders District Manager, Tilhill Forestry
- Andrew Fisher, Forest Manager, Tilhill Forestry
- Richard Hartley, Assistant Manager, Tilhill Forestry
- Iain Laidlaw MICFor, Operations & Development Manager, Forestry Commission Scotland
- John Gallagher, Ecologist
For more information about this event email Tom Black MICFor, ICF South Scotland Regional Group Secretary.
No catering will be provided for this event. Delegates should bring a packed lunch.