2017 ICF Midlands: Quality Hardwood Silviculture
A technical conference comprising the ICF Midlands Region 2017 AGM and field visit to the Whitbourne Estate, Worcester, with some high-level national speakers as a masterclass in hardwood silviculture.
Covering tree breeding, advances in silvicultural systems, pest control and milling of quality hardwoods, the morning’s activities will include a series of short lectures followed by lunch and the ICF Midlands Region 2017 AGM. (N.B. ICF Members may attend the AGM at no cost).
Following lunch, there will be a tour of the Estate woodlands and a discussion about recent harvesting operations and the products released for sale, and restocking options.
- Joe Evans (host), Whitbourne Estate – ‘Integrated Estate Woodland Management’
- Gavin Munro, Woodland Heritage – ‘Oak Milling, Product, Markets, Opportunities’
- Graham Taylor, Future Trees Trust – ‘Advances in Quality Oak Stock / Breeding’
- Charles Dutton, European Squirrel Initiative – ‘Squirrel Control in Hardwood Stands’
- 0900-0930: Teas / Coffees served in the Restaurant (Networking)
- 0930-1230: 4 presentations as 25-35 minutes each plus questions (coffee break 1030)
- 1230-1315: Buffet lunch in restaurant with soft drinks
- 1315–1345: AGM & Election of Regional Committee / Officers
- 1345–1400: Drive in convoy or take shoot bus to the woods
- 1400–1600: Walking / Shoot Bus Tour of Oak Stands on Willey Hill to look at spacing, regen response, approach to felling, vermin control, link with the shoot
Biosecurity & Shoot Sensitivity
- No dogs please given the pheasant shoot on the estate.
- Cars, boots and clothing are to come to site clear of plant matter, soil and debris.
- The Chairman will make boot washes and Propeller spray available at entry to the Car Park.
Catering will be available and is included in the ticket price.